We believe in communicative language teaching and, therefore, class activities are based on the communicative approach in order to enable learners to communicate in, rather than to analyze, the target language. English is usually only used as a last resort. To make learners feel at ease and well motivated when learning the target language, we make use of an eclectic range of techniques. Our methods, such as Direct Method, supplement the main approach in those situations where they can be more helpful in mastering language skills.
We are not so much teachers, as friends. We do not teach the language, but instead create situations in which learners enjoy communicating in the target language. Hospitality is our principle. It is why we do not name our institution a college or school, but a home of language, “Wisma Bahasa”.
The approach is based on the following principles:
- Communication Principle; Activities that involve real communication promote learning
- Task Principle; Activities in which language is used for carrying out meaningful tasks promote learning
- Meaningfulness Principle; Learning that is meaningful to the student supports the learning process. Under these principles, class activities are designed to be learner-centered in which any facilitation methods applied are utilized to gain the optimum learning results. In particular situation, English is used as the last resort. A relaxed atmosphere is deliberately created to eliminate the concept of “teacher-student relationships”. We foster the “relationship of friends” concept within our school’s environment.
- Mostly one-on-one interaction
- Support Activities
- Cultural Programs
- Experienced native speaker teachers from different educational backgrounds and ethnic groups
- Self-study materials © by Wisma Bahasa
- Learners Workbook © by Wisma Bahasa
- Authentic language sources including copies of business / academic articles, mass-media and popular articles, taped conversation, news, video/films
- Language activities involving members of the community
- Placement Test / Pre-Test to assess input competence of learners and to place them in an appropriate level
- Formative Test to monitor the learning progress and to identify any required remedial actions
- Post-Test to assess output competence of students
- Seminar and/or Presentation At the end of learning period, Wisma Bahasa offers the students to present a paper in a seminar or give a speech on any topics related to their interests
Wisma Bahasa has produced standard material for general purposes and interests in learning bahasa Indonesia. For specific purposes, Wisma Bahasa would be glad to design a certain syllabus and to prepare specific material without any additional cost. There for student must fill in the enrollment form as complete as possible in order to make our teaching division able to prepare best syllabus.
NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS PER CLASS
Lessons are specially designed to meet the needs of individual, single learners. However, a class may consist of up to four participants as long as they have the same level of proficiency in language. This limit is intended to optimize the learning impact of the training and enable the participants to receive the best possible attention. As Wisma Bahasa does not provide classmate(s), you should find them by yourself.